enfrdet +34 965 753 725
Mon - Fri 09:00-17:00

Retirement In Spain Taxes And Visa

Leben In Spanien Als Rentner

Moving to Spain as a foreign retiree: Visa and Taxes

Retiring and moving anywhere on the Spanish coast is the dream of many foreigners. Spain’s peaceful towns and cities and the country’s desirable weather conditions make it a preferred destination for any pensioner. Their economic status allows them to enjoy their retirement in Spain peacefully.

The Costa Blanca is one of foreigners’ favourite destinations to retire in the south of Europe. Sunshine, local cuisine and peaceful coastal towns are the main attractions for foreign visitors, who immediately become fascinated by the Spanish lifestyle.

If you are putting together information to start planning your retirement in Spain, you will certainly enjoy this post. In it we will answer our clients’ most FAQs: “Do I need to become a Spanish resident?” “What taxes will I have to pay?” “Should I rent or buy a property?”, etc.

Obtaining Spanish Visa As A Foreign Retiree

Residency for European Pensioners

retirement visa spainIf you wish to stay in Spain for a shorter period than six months a year during your retirement, you will not be required to apply for residency, as long as you come from a Member State of the EU. If you are an EU citizen, you have the right to move and reside freely within the Union.

However, if you wish to stay any longer than six months a year, you will have to register as a Spanish resident. The only requirements you will need to meet in order to apply for Spanish residency are having full medical coverage in Spain and showing proof of income to afford the cost of living in the country without any other financial support (whether it be your own country’s pension, savings or other economic means).

If you obtain your permanent residency, you are allowed to stay in Spain indefinitely. You may be eligible for this visa after spending five consecutive years in the country and fulfilling all of your legal duties. Leaving the country for less than six months per year or for more than twelve months, if there is a reason of force majeure, shall not affect the granting of the visa.

Residence Visa For Retirees/ Non-Lucrative Residency For Non-Eu Citizens

You are entitled to spend 90 days a year in Spain with your tourist visa. However, if you wish to stay for longer periods of time, you will be required to obtain a Non-Lucrative Residency visa. This will allow you to remain in Spain for up to a year, as long as you do not partake in any economic activities. You may renew your visa for two years after that period, and then, after spending five years in the country, you will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Requirements for the Non-Lucrative Residency Visa are:

  • Foreign pensioners will be required to show proof of financial soundness by providing a statement of €40,000 from one of their bank accounts. Depending on your country of origin, you may be required to provide a statement from a Spanish bank account instead. If you are expecting to stay for longer periods of time, Savloir recommends you open a Spanish bank account; this will simplify the most important procedures and smooth your transition when moving to the country.
  • A comprehensive health insurance policy taken out with a Spanish insurer.

You might also be interested in obtaining a Golden Visa in Spain (Investor Residency Visa). We issue all kinds of residence visas at our law firm. If you wish to be advised on the most suitable visa for you and your family, do not hesitate to contact us. – Joaquín Pons, Savloir CEO.

Retirement In Spain: Taxes

Foreign pensioners residing in Spain who are also tax residents here will be required to pay taxes if theyRetirement In Spain Taxes And Residence receive income from other countries; for instance, if a German pensioner has moved to Spain for his retirement and his tax residency is here as well, he will be required to pay taxes in Spain for his German pension. Nevertheless, you should be properly informed about the list of countries with bilateral tax agreements, in order to avoid paying the same taxes twice.

When Can Foreign Pensioners Be Considered As A Tax Residents In Spain?

  • When they remain in Spanish territory for a period longer than 183 days a year, unless they show proof regarding their tax residency in another country through valid documentation issued by said country.
  • When both their current spouse as well as their underaged children are Spanish residents, unless proven otherwise.
  • When their main economic activities take place in Spain, either directly or indirectly.

Retirment In Spain: Income Tax

Your retirement pension is considered earned income, and thus, foreign pensioners have to pay Income Tax, as long as they surpass the minimum wage threshold and are therefore required to file their income tax return.

You will only be required to file taxes in Spain if your earned revenue from other countries exceeds the amount of €22,000 from a sole payer, whether public or private.

If you obtain benefits from more than one payer and earn over €14,000, you will be required to file your income tax return in Spain and pay the Personal Income Tax, as long as the earned revenue from your second payer exceeds the amount of €1,500 per year.

In any case, as we mentioned before, you should become acquainted with the list of countries with bilateral tax agreements, so as to avoid paying taxes in two countries. As a friendly reminder, Spain has agreements with over 103 countries.


Are you looking for a lawyer in Spain?? Call now at 965 753 725

·   Mon – Fri 09:00-17:00
How can I help you?